"I have the simplest taste. I'm always satisfied with the best" Email     Devices     Storage     Remote Workplace

Exchange Server Client Error 8505000D

Exchange Server Client Error 8505000D

Out of blue the other day my Windows Phone stopped syncing with my Exchange server, giving error 8505000D. My wife sync’s my calendar on her device as well, and that had also stopped syncing, meaning whatever the problem is, it’s on the Exchange server, not the client.

A quick Google showed up

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppeople/outlook-stopped-working-error-8505000d/82a96336-cc50-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

which seems to hint about the problem being in the list of connected devices Exchange keeps. I’m running Exchange 2007, so the instructions might have changed for the latest versions, but there are 2 ways to deal with this:

Using Exchange Management Console

  1. Log into your server.
  2. Open up the ‘Exchange Management Console’.
  3. In the left navigation tree, select ‘Recipient Configuration’, then ‘Mailbox’.
  4. Select your mailbox in the list and go to ‘Manage mobile device’ in the right ‘Actions’ panel.
  5. Note that there’s a list showing your devices, but it’s only one line tall. THERE WILL BE MORE THAN ONE DEVICE THERE! You have to use the scrollbars to scroll through the other devices.
  6. Remove any devices in there that even remotely resemble the device that is no longer syncing. For me with Windows Phone, I removed my ‘WP8’ devices, as well as any ‘Windows Mail’ (Windows 8 Mail app) clients.
  7. Each time you remove a device, you have to go back into the ‘Manage mobile device’ dialog (quite annoying and something I hope is resolved in newer versions of Exchange).
  8. Go back to your mobile device, hit sync, and it should just work.

Using Outlook Web Access/Outlook Anywhere

  1. Log into your Exchange mailbox using OWA.
  2. Open the Options/Settings in the top-right of the page.
  3. Select ‘Mobile Devices’ on the left navigation bar.
  4. Select and remove any devices in there that even remotely resemble the device that is no longer syncing. For me with Windows Phone, I removed my ‘WP8’ devices, as well as any ‘Windows Mail’ (Windows 8 Mail app) clients.
  5. Go back to your mobile device, hit sync, and it should just work.

Best of luck 🙂